When you first start dating a guy and everything is going great, the last thing you think about is….how can I tell if he’s lying to me? We all tend to think the best of human nature and that people wouldn’t lie, but that’s not always the case.
Your Instinct & Intuition
When you first meet a guy, most of the time you don’t have a friend who knows him, that can validate that he is a good guy. So all you have to go on, is your gut instinct and intuition.
While your instinct and intuition can be great indicators, sometimes when someone is such a good liar, you may not discover that he is lying until months later.
When something seems off about the guy you’re dating or something is just not adding up, you tend to wonder if there are signs you should be looking out for that could indicate he’s lying to you.
Watch His Body Language
Jan Hargrave who is a Body Language Expert, recently gave some really helpful tips on how to tell if someone is lying to you on The Steve Harvey Show.
So whether it’s a first date or you’ve been dating someone for awhile, Jan’s tips are excellent indicators on how to tell if someone is lying to you:
1) Eye Contact
Eyes are very telling about a person. Some will say it tells everything about a person and his soul.
Here are some signs to look out for and are good indicators he is lying to you:
- Constantly looking around, instead of directly into your eyes
- Avoiding looking at you in the eyes
- Excessive blinking
- Eyes that stay closed for longer than necessary
- Rapid eye movement
2) Left Handed Gestures
Now, try to follow me here, as there is a more scientific reason why you have to watch out for this. The left hand is controlled by the right side of the brain, which is the creative, animated & emotional side of the brain. It’s actually the side of the brain that creates lies.
If someone touches their face excessively with their left hand, it means they want you to look everywhere else but their mouth to hear what they’re saying.
So, if he is doing any of these things when you’re out on a date, be careful:
- Rubbing his nose with the left index pointer finger
He’s trying to conceal information that is spoken from his mouth.
- Tugging at his eye with the left index finger
What he wants you to see is that what he is saying is untruthful.
- Tugging at the ear
Means he doesn’t want you to hear what he is saying to you because he’s being dishonest.
Jan also gave some great examples of how to tell if someone is lying to you when you’re either out on a date or in a relationship.
When you ask him a question and he does any of these things:
1) He immediately starts off laughing. He’s nervous and he’s trying to buy himself time to give you a story that’s believable.
Great examples of this are:
- When you ask him, “Why are you late for our date?”
- Or when you say to him, “My friend says she saw you the other day out with another woman…is that true!?”
- And when you confront him and ask, “Are we ever going to get married?”
2) He repeats the question you just asked him. He feels uncomfortable answering the question, so he’s probably going to lie to you and tell you what you want to hear.
Great examples of this are:
- When you think he may be in a relationship already, so you ask, “Are you married?”
- Or you start to see inconsistencies in his story, so you ask, “Are you cheating on me?”
- And when you’re feeling a little insecure about your body and ask, “Does this outfit make me look fat?”
(you should never ask this question anyway, but that’s a whole other topic of conversation)
While it’s not good to be paranoid when you’re out there dating or in a relationship….if you feel that something is off about someone or their stories are just not adding up, then you need to watch out for these signs that he might be lying to you.
If you liked this article on how to tell if a guy is lying to you, we also suggest you check out Single in Stilettos – Video Series, where the top dating experts will tell you how to meet & keep the man of your dreams. And the secrets of what men really think & want from women! Trust me, you will go from Single in Stilettos to Engaged in Stilettos in no time flat!